The Residence & Mr P.P.’s
The Residence is named after its previous civic use as a home to the Southport Postmaster’s family from 1908 to 1965. It became the Postmaster General’s Residence due to its convenient location right next to the Gold Coast’s major post office.
In the late 1960s, Southport Post Office was rebuilt and a telephone exchange was added.
In 1967, The Residence was rebuilt entirely and became the Maternal and Child Welfare Centre. For nearly 50 years, the centre housed nurses and sisters upstairs and serviced Gold Coast mothers and children downstairs.
In 2017, the building was purchased by the Howe Family, who in 2002 bought and restored the old Ambulance Station next door. Tenants now include Study Gold Coast, Gold Coast Student Hub and Mr P.P.’s Deli & Rooftop Bar.
SPEED DATE AN ARCHITECT
A team of volunteer architects will provide free 20 minute consultations. Click for details.
11am - 6pm
NO BOOKING REQUIRED
Building type: Commercial offices, restaurant
Architect: Karl Langer (1967); Arran Woolams (2017)
Built: 1967, refurbished 2017