Old School House Gallery: Sculptors Society Gold Coast
Old School House Gallery began life in 1909 as Benowa School, catering to the children from the local cane and dairy farms. The building features a single skinned timber construction braced externally, a vaulted timber ceiling, timber floor and verandah.
The school doubled in size in the mid-1950s and was attended by many Gold Coasters until 1967 when the current Benowa Primary School was built in Benowa Road.
The Old School House was moved to where it stands when Ashmore Road was widened. The site is called Potters and Sculptors Corner. The grounds feature trees planted on Arbor Day after WW1.
The Sculptors Society Gold Coast and the Gold Coast Potters Association began using the Old School House as a shared workshop in the 1980s, later moving into purpose built studios on site.
The Old School House is now used for exhibitions and community events.