Old Benowa Post Office: Gold Coast Potters Gallery & Giftshop
The Gold Coast Potters Association gallery and gift shop operates from an old house some remember as old Benowa Post Office. It is located next door to the Old School House Gallery.
During the late 1800s, mail was brought from Brisbane on horseback once a week. In 1873, Cobb & Co ran coaches to the area. Built around 1915, the cottage for some years was used to house farm workers.
In 1939, Mrs James became Post Mistress and Benowa Post Office was established in her home. The Post Office closed in 1972, but the building remained a private residence for some years before it was moved to its current home.
Students from Gold Coast TAFE restored the building in 1992. In 1994, it was officially opened by the Gold Coast mayor. The Old Post Officer Gallery opened in October 1997, exhibiting for sale works by current Gold Coast Potters Association members.