• Follow us on
  • rss

Gold Coast Light Horse Museum

Heritage listed Schmidt farm house and outbuildings are thought to date back to the 1880s. The pastoral selection was run by a number of people before it was transferred to Mudgeeraba tanner Johann Karl Schmidt, also known as Carl, in 1912.

Carl emigrated from Germany to Queensland in 1881, aged 21, and married Bertha. The Schmidt family were dairy farmers with 20-30 cows, typical of small selector farming practice in the early 20th century.

Bertha died in 1924; Carl in 1931. Youngest daughter Eda Kurth, who was born in the farmhouse in 1903, took ownership. The Kurth family kept the house and some land until 1992 when it was sold.

By 1997, the place was recognised as having significant historical value. It was bought by the City of Gold Coast and later entered the Gold Coast and Queensland heritage registers.

The farmhouse is now the Gold Coast Light Horse Education Centre.

8 Worongary Road, Mudgeeraba

THIS EVENT HAS NOW CONCLUDED

Building use: Museum
Built: 1880s, additions 1900s,
Website: mlhmuseum.com.au