Ernest Junction Railway Tunnel
Hidden from street view, the Ernest Junction railway tunnel’s distinct curved shape and rounded concrete ceiling make a walk through memorable.
Constructed by Queensland Rail and opened in 1889, this is one of the oldest surviving examples of a fully concrete lined railway tunnel in the state.
Recently listed on the Queensland Heritage Register, the tunnel is a remnant of the original South Coast Rail Line which closed in 1964. Trains travelled through the tunnel to and from Brisbane, Southport and Tweed carrying goods interstate and passengers to the Gold Coast, then an emerging tourist destination.
Extensions in the early 1900s made Ernest Junction an important terminus for three lines – Ernest Junction to Brisbane, Ernest Junction to Southport and Ernest Junction to Nerang and Tweed Heads.
The tunnel is 114m in length with a base 4.4m wide and crown height of 4.9m. It is now used by the community as a walking trail, photo backdrop and impromptu concert hall.
THIS EVENT HAS NOW CONCLUDED
Building type: Railway tunnel
Architect: Queensland Rail