15Buildings & Places

The Post-War Queenslander

Preece House

ArchitectUnknown
Year Built1948
Date15-10-2022 and 16-10-2022
Opening Hours10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Photography PermittedYes
Add to trip planner
Address
Bischof Pioneer Park, 48 Nerang Street, Nerang,

Drop ins welcome anytime. Guided tours starting 10am, 11am, 1pm, and 2pm. Approx. 30 mins duration. No bookings required.

Preece House was built in 1948 and served as a family home for more than 50 years. Its original owners were William and Ada (Granny) Preece, who with their son Bill ran a telegraph pole supply business to the Gold Coast and Hinterland from the 1950s through to the 1990s.

Preece House remains a fine example of a timber Queenslander constructed post-war which features the original kitchen, windows and ceiling trims and is a symbolic representation of the past in the present. The restoration was undertaken by members of the Nerang Community Association.

It is located near Ceramic House and the Maid of Sker, a restored 19th-century paddle steamer that once carried cargo between Brisbane, Southport and Nerang. It now serves as a heritage photographic gallery which currently houses an exhibition of Aboriginal portraiture dating from the 1860s to the 1940s.

Further information:

  • Devonshire tea available for purchase.
  • Photography permitted.
  • This is an accessible venue.

Share This

Select your desired option below to share a direct link to this page