11Buildings & Places

The Post-War Queensland

Preece House

Building typeHeritage
Year Built1948
Date7–8 October 2023
Opening Hours10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Photography PermittedYes
Add to trip planner
Bischof Pioneer Park, 48 Nerang Street, Nerang

Preece House was built in 1948 and served as a family home for more than 50 years. Its original owners were William and Ada (Granny) Preece, who with their son Bill ran a telegraph pole supply business to the Gold Coast and Hinterland from the 1950s through to the 1990s.

Preece House remains a fine example of a timber Queenslander constructed post-war which features the original kitchen, windows and ceiling trims and is a symbolic representation of the past in the present. The restoration was undertaken by members of the Nerang Community Association.

It is located near Ceramic House and the Maid of Sker, a restored 19th-century paddle steamer that once carried cargo between Brisbane, Southport and Nerang. It now serves as a heritage photographic gallery which currently houses an exhibition of Aboriginal portraiture dating from the 1860s to the 1940s.

Other details:

  • Drop-ins welcome anytime during opening hours.
  • Guided tours will run at 10am, 11am, 1pm and 2pm for approximately 30 minutes duration. Bookings not required.
  • Devonshire tea available for purchase.
  • Photography is permitted at this venue.
  • This is an accessible venue.



Share This

Select your desired option below to share a direct link to this page