Constructed by Queensland Rail and opened in 1889, the Ernest Junction Railway Tunnel is one of the oldest surviving examples of a fully concrete lined railway tunnel in the state. No longer in use as a railway tunnel, it has been embraced by the local community as a walking trail, photo backdrop and impromptu concert hall.
Listed on the Queensland Heritage Register, the tunnel is a remnant of the original South Coast Rail Line which closed in 1964.Trains travelled through the tunnel to and from Brisbane, Southport and Tweed carrying goods interstate and passengers to the Gold Coast, then an emerging tourist destination.
Extensions in the early 1900s made Ernest Junction an important terminus for three lines – Ernest Junction to Brisbane, Ernest Junction to Southport and Ernest Junction to Nerang and Tweed Heads. The tunnel is 114m in length with a base 4.4m wide and crown height of 4.9m. Hidden from street view, the tunnel’s distinct curved shape and rounded concrete ceiling make a walk through memorable.
Select your desired option below to share a direct link to this page