Surfers Paradise Fire Station
The first Surfers Paradise Station was built in the heart of Surfers Paradise in 1942 as a wartime measure in case Jubilee Bridge was bombed. It was not - but there were frequent fires on it due to discarded cigarettes.
Development increased after the war. A new Surfers Paradise fire station opened beside Cascade Gardens, Broadbeach, on 10 April 1964. To cope with the appearance of highrise buildings in Surfers and Broadbeach, the station received a new vehicle with a 40 metre turntable ladder.
Regular drills were conducted at the various towers while tourists watched. Valiant crews fought blazes at the El Rancho Motel and the Tiki Village Resort to name a few. This station closed in 2002. It was replaced by a brand new state-of-the-art station.
Today the station is part of the Queensland Fire and Emergency Services South Eastern Region.