Southport Bathing Pavilion
The Southport Bathing Pavilion was built in 1934 as a changing facility for people visiting the Broadwater beach.
The Pavilion is historically significant as it demonstrates the development of the Gold Coast as a seaside resort in the 1930s and reflects a new culture associated with beach going.
The building, designed by prominent architectural firm Hall and Phillips, has aesthetic significance as an example of the Spanish Mission style architecture of that era.
It was originally situated on the waterfront but from the 1960s, sand pumping the coastline eastwards, marooning the building within the park.
In 2009, City of Gold Coast undertook the conservation and refurbishment of the pavilion to develop it as a community meeting room and gallery facility.
Many other original features have also been retained.
The Pavilion is listed on the Queensland and local heritage register.
10AM - 3PM
NO BOOKINGS REQUIRED
Self guided tours
Historic Bathing Pavilion
Hall and Phillips