• Follow us on
  • rss

St Hilda’s School

St Hilda’s School celebrated its centenary as an Anglican all-girls day and boarding school in 2012. The 14-hectare campus features buildings old and new.

The Diocesan Council bought Miss Davenport’s Goy-te-Lea School for Girls in Bay and Davenport Streets and changed the name to St Hilda’s Church of England Girls’ Grammar School in 1912.

Archbishop Donaldson and former Maryborough Girls Grammar headmistress Miss Catherine Bourne opened St Hilda’s with 23 boarders. Two years later, 60 enrolled. Miss Bourne bought an elevated High Street site that was walking distance from the sea. The brick school, erected in 1917, cost £14,000. She gifted both to the church.

St Hilda’s was named after a seventh-century Abbess of Whitby who, stories say, turned serpents into stone. The school motto Non Nobis Solum means Not for Ourselves Alone.

St Hilda’s is incorporating the concept of STEAM ( science, technology, engineering, art, maths) as a key pillar of learning for young women. Women in STEAM based employment is a significant focus of the developed world. By introducing STEAM to our Primary School curriculum we are not only supporting and enhancing our existing success in Secondary education but engaging young girls at an earlier developmental stage into the exciting innovative and problem solving learning environment of STEAM.

18–30 Cougal Street, Southport

9.00am – 12.00pm

BOOKING REQUIRED - CLICK HERE TO BOOK TOURS

Tours

Join a 40 minute guided tour for up to 20 people at 9am, 10am and 11am. Visit the state-of-the-art Jennifer Reeves Senior School Building (opened 2015), newly re-opened Visual Arts building and Middle School Centre (2017), brand new Junior STEAM building (2017), historic structures including the Chapel of St Hilda, sports facilities including two indoor gymnasiums, netball and tennis courts, aquatic centre and much more. Wear smart casual clothing and closed in shoes.


Building type

School


Architects     

Original architect unknown.
The Jennifer Reeves Building – Burling Brown Architects
2017 STEM Building - Burling Brown Architects


Built

Founded 1912. Expansion 1917

Latest buildings: The Jennifer Reeves Building – 2015; STEM Building - 2017


Website

sthildas.qld.edu.au