Former Southport Town Hall
Heritage-listed Southport Town Hall was constructed in the fashionable Art Deco style by architectural partnership Hall and Phillips, designers of other Gold Coast buildings including the Main Beach and Southport Bathing Pavilions (1934). The official opening was by Queensland Premier William Forgan-Smith on 2 August 1935.
Amalgamating with other nearby councils, Southport Town Council was renamed South Coast Town Council in 1949, Gold Coast Town Council in 1958 and Gold Coast City Council in 1959. Rear extensions were made to the building in 1957 and the early 1960s. Gold Coast City Council built new offices at Evandale in 1976, leaving Southport to operate as a branch office. A 1997 conservation project revealed original features including front doors and lettering over the front entrance. A 2011 paint job restored to the building to its 1930s colour scheme.